Bing Webmaster Tools offers several useful reports and features to analyze and optimize the visibility of your website in Bing, the Google Search Console formerly called Google Webmaster Tools in Google. search engine optimization like data about the sitemap, a “Search Keywords” report (similar to the old Search Queries report in Google Webmaster Tools or “Fetch as Bingbot” (similar to the “Fetch as Google” functionality in the Google Search Console).
Bing’s Webmaster Tools provides some great data for webmasters to use and address potential SEO issues. How to set up Bing Webmaster Tools for your website reports and features.
Set-up of Bing Webmaster Tools
Add Your Website
First you want to create a Microsoft account. Now you can add and verify your website under “My Sites”. Bing offers multiple verification methods :
- XML File, it needs to be uploaded to the root directory of your website.
- Meta Tag Authentication: Add the meta tag from Bing Webmaster Tools in the <head> section of your website.
- Add the Bing CNAME record to your DNS (Domain Name System). you need access to the hosting account of your domain.
Configure Your Website
Thereafter, you have added your website to Bing Webmaster Tools, you can configure it.
- SiteMaps : By clicking on the tab Submit the URL of your sitemap to Bing. Configuring your site.
- Submit URLs : If your website is new or not yet in the Bing index for other reasons, you should manually submit the most important pages. You can submit 10 pages per day and 50 per month.
- Geo-Targeting : We can define the geographic targeting (country) for the entire domain, but also for the separate subfolders and subdomains or even for individual pages.
- Connected Pages : Here you can connect your apps and social media profiles with your website. If you add these connections, you can see additional information for your apps and social media profiles in Bing Webmaster Tools. The connection with your app sets the basis for app indexing.To activate app indexing you go to the menu item “App Linking” in the configuration menu.
Reports And Features
Bing Webmaster Tools which provides reports and features similar to those in the Google Search Console. Here are the main functionalities.
- Reports & Data > Page Traffic : you will find the top URLs of your website according to the Bing search algorithm. In addition to the impressions you can also see the clicks, the click-through-rate, the average position and the keywords.
- Reports & Data > Search Keywords : In this report is same to the page traffic report, but provides data based on the top keywords instead of the top URLs.
- Reports & Data > SEO Reports : In this report you will find a list of your SEO problems, like for example missing ALT tags or not optimal meta descriptions.
- Reports & Data > Inbound Links : In this report shows the number of external links to your website, the trend for the number of external links, the linked-to pages, the linking pages and the anchor texts.
- Reports & Data > Crawl Information: In this report you can see all the crawling issues like broken links, redirects and robots.txt exclusions.
- Diagnostics & Tools > Keyword Research: The Bing keyword tool is integrated in Bing Webmaster Tools. Here we can check the search volume for your keywords and identify additional keyword ideas.
- Diagnostics & Tools > Markup Validator: This tool allows you to check the structured data markups that Bingbot identifies on your website.
- Fetch As Bingbot : You can see your page as Bing’s crawler – Bingbot just enter your URL here and click fetch. You’ll then see the headers and content for the page displayed. Note, unlike the previous tools this only works on pages that you are verified to view in Bing Webmaster Tools.